Today we’re wishing our founder and president Roger Payne a very happy birthday. After forty years working for the protection of whales, the past year found him:
- in Australia forging a new partnership with an old friend –Captain Paul Watson, founder of the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society
- in the Gulf of Mexico at the site of the Deepwater Horizon disaster raising awareness about the ongoing ecological crisis in the Gulf
- at our whale camp in Patagonia, Argentina with Dr. Jane Goodall filming a new documentary about their work for the environment
- in New Zealand at the Marine Mammal Conference raising awareness about the imminent extinction of Maui’s dolphins from the overuse of gillnets and other threats
- in Gloucester, Massachusetts attending the opening of our new headquarters at the historic Tarr and Wonson Paint Manufactory
- at his daughter’s home in New York, building a chicken coop for his grandchildren
We can only imagine where this year will take him. We thank him for a his service and inspiration.